Thursday, July 23, 2009

Istanbul!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 23rd
So I went to Turkey. It was amazing. Istanbul is such a great city. I had no idea that it is the 5th largest city in the WORLD as far as population goes! There are 15 million people there. 15 million. I don’t think there are that many people in Philly. I think I had the best cultural experience in Turkey. My day in Corinth, Greece was nice, but it was only one day. Everyday in Istanbul was a learning experience. I saw things that I have never ever seen in the states, ever. We were in Turkey for a long time in comparison to the other countries. Five whole days. Everywhere else has been four or three and a half. The first day in Istanbul I went to Capali Karsi or the Grand Bazaar. This place had 4000 shops. FOR THOUSANDS SHOPS THAT SELL EVERYTHING FROM HAND MADE SHOES TO SPICES TO JEWELRY TO SILK RUGS TO WATER PIPES TO ANYTHING! Now I really wish I could give you all a super detailed description of the activity in the Grand Bazaar but it is truly, truly something you have to experience for yourself. These people that work in there are grade A, first class, top of the line hustling sales man. I have been talking about my negotiating skills in all these blogs and I really feel that the other four countries have prepared me for the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, Turkey on July 18th 2009. I swear that these men, because they were all men, will cut you a deal and bargain with you about anything. I complimented one guy on his fancy shoes and he said, “ You like? I will sell them to you…good price”. I was puzzled. They were on his feet. What would he wear home? Anyway, I learned that the guys in the stores found it insulting if you didn’t price haggle them so I negotiated and bargained and walked away and got chased back and made all types of deals in the Grand Bazaar. It was soooooooooooo much fun. I spent the absolute least amount of money in Turkey and got the most from there than all countries combined. I seriously spent less than $130 in five days and have a bunch of really really really nice quality stuff.
Now the funnier stuff. These Turkish men looooooooooooove women. American, Brittish, Spanish whatever. It does not matter. They have lines and lines and lines for days. Everywhere we walked I heard so many different pick up lines. I will gladly list them:
Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?
Are you one of Charlie’s Angels?
I will be here waiting for you forever.
Your beauty is like the sun shine.
Don’t walk so hard, your stepping on my heart.
There were a bunch more but the scenario that tops the list was this one guy who owned a store that sold teas and spices. He came up to me and asked me where I was from and I pretended that I couldn’t speak English and I spoke Spanish to him. He said “oooh Spanish? Will you marry me? I will give your family 5000 dollars and one of my textile businesses.” At that point I had to cut the Spanish act and ask him was he freakin serious??? He OFFERED TO BUY ME FOR 5000 DOLLARS AND A BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!! He was extremely serious. So I quickly said no and walked away. Then this other guy asked me to marry him too and I said yes if he would give me three leather pillow cases for 20 Lyra…which is about 15 dollars. I wanted them sooooo badly but they were 15 Lyra each. He agreed to giving me 3 for 20. So I think I’m married now.
I talked to so many people about the Muslim culture and why certain things were the way they are, how things used to be and how most of the things we see and hear in America are so wrong. The media is such a powerful tool that seriously abuses its power. I am so very thankful that I had the experience to immerse myself in a culture that is so politically, socially and religiously different than anywhere I have ever been. I met some of the nicest and insightful humans I have ever come in contact with in my entire existence. I went to the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque which are breathtakingly beautiful. The architect was so detailed and just gorgeous. When it is time to pray, there is announcement that can be heard anywhere and everywhere in the city. To hear the prayer in the streets or in a store or on the sub is just amazing. Their religion is such a part of their life but there is a definite line between church…well mosque and state. I thought that when it was time to pray that everyone stopped what they were doing to pray but if they are working or shopping or doing something necessary to sustain their way of living they don’t have to stop when the prayer sounds. Only the very very devout Muslims go to the Mosques at the five specific times. I don’t think any of this is making sense. I’m not really explaining this well. But the point I am trying to make is that a lot of people have preconceived notions about Muslim people, especially Muslim people in Turkey. Some of the stereotypes are every woman has to be covered from head to toe, everyone in the country is a strict Muslim, the men are oppressive, you have to be worried about “terrorists”….as if America isn’t the terrorist capitol of the world, and a whole plethora of other stereotypes. But the reality is the Muslim people are extremely tolerant of other peoples’ religions, I saw just as many catholic churches in Istanbul as I did Muslim mosques, women wore whatever they wanted, I saw many openly affectionate relationships all over the city. The women who were covered from head to toe were doing all of the same things that uncovered women were doing, the men were friendly and I rarely got treated badly or felt that I was being disrespected. I never ever once felt unsafe or uncomfortable or scared while being in Turkey. It was amazing. I loved it.
But, while all these things I said are true, there is still the other side of things that make some of these ideas of the Muslim world true. People in turkey are born Muslim, they have no choice, a lot of things that happen in the country happen without the say of the people. I learned while being here what it really means to be free and have freedom. I realized the freedom I have while talking to this old man on the street. He told me that people in Turkey are born with a past. He said that America isn’t burdened by its past because it is so young. While I disagree with him, I completely understand what he means. He is saying that many things that are in place are there because of what has happened in the thousands and thousands of years of religious history and war. I could not imagine what its like to be born with so many things in my life already chosen for me, my religion, my role in society, my husband (in some cases) and so many other things. Youtube, the online site, is banned in the entire country because some random video was made that criticized the Turkish government. That blows my mind. People don’t realize how crucial freedom of speech is, freedom of religion. Just freedom in general. America is the furthest thing from perfect but it does give its people the blessing of freedom. Now I really understand why so many people want to come here. Why they risk death just to get here. To have freedom is worth it to them. But many of us don’t even realize how important our freedom is. Ok I’m done. I’m actually in Bulgaria right now. I will be on the beach soaking up some more Mediterranean sun in a few hours. After Bulgaria I will be in the Motherland…Africa. I cannot wait. Bulgaria is my relaxation country. Egypt and Morocco need my full, undivided attention. Later.

6 comments:

  1. You better not be married! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey chicka...so i have your blog in my google reader and I must say you're doing a great job of giving sharing your experiences with everyone! You have me so jealous over here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO married. you crack me up nexy. keep having fun and experiencing. miss you, love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU HAD BETTER NOT COME BACK WITH ANYONE I DIDN'T APPROVE OF FIRST. Anyway, glad you are having a good time and don't forget me in Egypt and Morocco. Love ya...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nexus Cook got hitched in Turkey!! LMAO...I love it! One of those pillowcases better be for me....somethin from this trip better be for me lol

    But honestly Nex-I think this is my favorite entry because you learned so much from it and you can share it with so many people...

    And FYI I'm still absolutely jealous but I love u nonetheless

    ReplyDelete